Claims FAQs

Claims FAQs

General questions about claims

What is a claim?

A claim is when you, the customer, asks us for payment towards the cost of something that's outlined in your policy – in the case of that eventuality happening. Claims have to be approved by the insurer, before you receive your payment.

How do I make a claim?

The best way to make a claim is to ring our call-centre using the relevant number from the list below. If possible for all our products apart from Term Life, please try to call us within 24 hours of your need to make a claim.

Remember, all our UK-based call-centre staff are specially-trained in working with our diverse customer base.

  • Home and contents: 0333 234 3722 /
  • Term life: 020 7280 6000 
  • Pet: 0333 220 5510
  • Wedding: simply click here, or contact 0333 234 3723 /
  • Travel: For policies bought before 25th April 2019, please contact 0333 234 3721 or

For policies bought on or after 26th April 2019, please contact 0238 017 7468 or 

Also, please note the following numbers for emergency medical treatment under an Emerald travel policy:

For policies bought before 25th April 2019 contact Global Response on 0343 658 0345 or email

For policies bought on or after 26th April 2019, please contact International Medical Rescue on 0238 064 4633

Claims under Section B – Optional Gadget cover:

Contact Trent - Services (Administration) Ltd at

Trent - Services (Administration) Ltd
Trent House 
Love Lane 
GL7 1XD 

Or on phone number 01285 626020, email: or by fax 01285 626031.

What information will I need to provide to support my claim?

This depends on the sort of claim you're making. When you call to make your claim, one of our team will be able to tell you what supporting documents you need – but it's a good idea to keep as much paperwork as you can, and even keep a list of things you own or are travelling with (in the case of travel or contents insurance), with costs and paperwork where possible.

Any claims for loss or theft of your belongings need to be supported by proof of ownership, and you'll also need to proof the value of the items. Thefts should be reported to the local police as soon as possible.

Do I need to fill in a claims form?

It's always best to call us first and have a member of our team talk you through what you need to do. You might still have to fill in a claims form later down the line, however.

When should I report a claim?

As soon as possible – and there are a few reasons for this. Firstly, facts and circumstances will be clearer in your mind if you call us early on. And in certain situations, we won't be able to pay out your entire claim if the result was worsened by your delay in telling us. Finally, the sooner you contact us, the sooner your claim will be sorted, and your payment sent.

What happens after I report a claim?

If we proceed with your claim, and it's covered in your policy, you'll need to start collecting all the relevant documents, and write down the full details of what happened. If you want someone else to deal with the claim on your behalf (like a friend or relative if you're out of the country), just let us know and we will deal with them if we can.

Will reporting a claim affect my premium?

No, not usually. If we pay out on your claim, however, your future premiums may be affected – depending on the nature of the claim and if you have claimed before.

How do excesses work?

You'll find your policy excesses set out in your policy schedule, your key facts, and your policy documentation. These will detail the excesses you'll need to pay for certain items, as well as across the policy as a whole. Excesses will be deducted from any payout on a claim you make.

Is there a maximum amount I can claim each year?

Yes, usually. The maximum amount you can claim for is set out in your policy schedule, or the policy itself. In general, there are limits on individual types of claim, as well as an overall limit.

How do you pay out my claim?

We pay out on claims via direct deposit bank-to-bank wire transfers, so your money reaches you more quickly and securely. You'll need to provide us with your bank details – and we'll only ever pay into your bank account, not a third party's.

How do I make a complaint?

We recognise the importance of service and set ourselves high standards. Should there be an occasion when we do not meet your expectations we are equally committed to dealing with any complaint in a thorough and professional manner.

Insurance other than EmeraldPet Insurance, or Travel Insurance taken out AFTER 1 June 2018

If you wish to register a complaint about our home and contents policy, our travel policy, our wedding policy or our term life policy, request a copy of our complaints procedures in relation to these policies or give us feedback, please contact us:

In writing: Emerald Life Customer Relations, 2 Melford Court, The Havens Ransomes Europark, Ipswich, Suffolk, IP3 9SJ

By telephone: 0330 131 9960

By email:

If you cannot settle your complaint with us, you may be entitled to refer it to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS). You can find out more about this by visiting the FOS web site at

If your complaint relates to insurance purchased from us via electronic means then you are also able to use the EC On-line Dispute Resolution (ODR) platform at who will notify FOS on your behalf.

You can request a copy of our procedures for dealing with complaints at any time. Details of the insurers’ complaints procedures can be found in each policy wording and Key Facts document.

EmeraldPet Insurance

In writing: EmeraldPet, FREEPOST PetAdmin

By telephone: 03332 205510

By email: or

Emerald Travel Insurance taken out after 1 June 2018

In writing: The Compliance Manager, ROCK Insurance Group, Griffin House, 135 High Street, Crawley, West Sussex RH10 1DQ 


Terence Higgins Trust