Wasp stings, bee stings, and the dangers of a wasp sting or bee sting

A dog can be stung by a wasp or bee and may develop localized swelling, redness, and pain around the sting site, as well as allergic reactions.

More serious issues could be a severe allergic response, anaphylactic reaction or anaphylactic shock, or even more severe symptoms. If your dog has been stung multiple times then there may still be multiple stings in your dog’s body, which can be painful and result in more venom in your body.

Some of the signs are a painful sting causing your dog to jolt, severe swelling in the affected area. If you suspect your dog has been stung by a wasp or bee, take him to the vet immediately. 

“Research suggests that Emerald Pet Insurance offer excellent value for money and are very competitively priced for the high levels of cover provided. Even taking into account the optional extras. When these are removed, they are even more competitively priced.”
– Thatsinsurance.com


What Should I Look Out For?

Apart from bee and wasp stings, there are many different types of venomous insects apart from a wasp or bee that sting dogs globally including yellow jackets, hornets, honeybees, paper wasps and bald-faced hornets. Dog breeds with short noses such as snub nosed pugs are more prone to being stung due to their inability to avoid flying insects like other breeds of dogs.

Some symptoms include difficulty breathing because of swelling in their throat area which could lead them to suffocating on their own blood if not treated quickly enough

What Should I Do If My Dog Gets Bitten?

Every dog owner knows that wasps are a danger to dogs. They can sting them, sometimes causing problems ranging from organ damage, serious injury or death. If you see your dog get stung by a wasp, call the vet immediately and take him in for treatment.

What should you do if your dog is bitten by a wasp? The best thing to do is rinse the wound with water from the cold tap and then flush it with soap and water as soon as possible. You may need to use tweezers to remove any lingering bits of insect body parts from the wounds. You could also consider using baking soda as an alkali which might help as well.

Other issues? If your dog is stung watch out for problems with the dog’s airway particularly if you think it can’t function properly, or any other throat issue. In that case, think about emergency treatment immediately.

What to do if your dog is stung by a bee or wasp

Most of the time, if your dog is stung by a bee or wasp, it will cause mild pain and mild irritation rather than an allergic reaction, difficulty breathing or similar. The worst they’ll end up with is a swollen face and some localised pain. In some cases, your dog may be allergic to the poison injected by the sting.

If not treated this may result in a severe reaction or even death. Contact your vet as soon as possible for advice. Your vet will most likely ask you to bring your dog in straight away.

What to do if your dog has been stung

Quickly remove the sting using a credit card or something similar to scrape it out. Be careful to scrape from below the venom sac and don’t squeeze or pull the sting out. Ice is good to quickly soothe the site but be careful not to shock your dog with the sudden temperature change and sensation.

Your dog is likely to be agitated and irritated by the sting, so as much as possible try to calm them down and keep them cool too. Keep an eye out for any signs of an allergic reaction that might develop within the first few hours.

Ongoing Issues

Keep an eye on your pet over the next few days; if he seems lethargic or shows signs of fever, go back for another check-up. If your dog shows any other physical signs such as swelling then remain calm, wrap ice around any swelling (or frozen peas in a clean tea towel) in the affected area and make sure that you have an ice pack.

How You Can Help

If you have a puppy, it may be a good idea to keep them away from wasps. A dog’s natural instinct is to go after the insect and most likely get stung in the process. The pain of being stung by a wasp is not minor and can outweigh any possible fun that your pup could have chasing after one. If you are wondering what to do if your dog has been bitten by a wasp, there are some things that you should try before taking them to the vet.


There are several ways to look after your dog in this case. If you have a pup, it may be best to keep them away from wasps. A dog’s natural instinct is to chase after the insect and get stung in the process. The pain of being stung by a wasp can outweigh any possible fun that your pup could have chasing one befoure you intervene.

Wasp Stings And Bee Stings FAQS

What to do if a dog gets stung by a wasp?

If there is a sting left, remove the sting, scrape it out gently with a credit card or similar object. Be careful to scrape from beneath the venom sac and avoid pulling or squeezing the sting.

Ice can soothe the site but be careful not to give your dog an unpleasant shock with sudden cold sensation. Your dog is likely extremely agitated and irritated by the sting, so try to keep them as calm as possible.

What can I give my dog for a wasp sting?

If your dog was stung by a bee or wasp, they will typically be in moderate pain and irritable for a few hours as is the case with wasp or bee stings (or any other insect stings). In some cases the dog may show signs of extreme discomfort, difficulty breathing and even death. The severity depends on how allergic to the injection it is – if not treated it could result in severe restlessness or death

Can a wasp sting kill a dog?

It may do – always seek the advice of a vet.

How long does a wasp sting last on a dog?

That will depend on the size of the dog but the irritation can last for a number of hours, even without any more serious symptoms

Article summary: dog allergic reaction/dog antihistamines/most dogs and a bee or wasp sting or bite