When Emerald Life opened its doors back in 2016, our co-founders Steve and Heidi sought to establish an insurance provider that would accommodate some more marginalised communities – to accommodate those whose “non-traditional” (as sometimes called) lifestyle was excluded from/ignored by available insurance. 

Upon Emerald’s launch, Steve and Heidi conducted a survey examining the experience and treatment of LGBTQ+ insurance customers. Overwhelmingly, many felt as though their needs were not being addressed, with 48% of the national demographic hypothesising that LGBTQ+ insurance was tougher and more arduous to achieve. 

Whilst, civil partnership status has been recently extended to heterosexual couples, we recognise that civil partnerships initially sought validate the legal relationship of a same sex union, where there had been no previous representation.

Essentially, the widening of legal recognition for same sex couples paved the way for greater equality and provided many members of the community with the same rights.

Want to know more about how we can help you? Don’t hesitate to get in touch! Call us on 0330 113 7109 or email us at 

How we can help you today at Emerald? 

Known for our attentive, highly personalised and organic customer service – alongside, our exceptionally constructive insurance framework – we are here to help make your big day as stress free as possible. Our civil partnership insurance includes: public liability for the marrying couple, coverage for cancellation that is out of your control, and, financial protection for the outlay of your wedding celebrations.

Get a civil partnership insurance quote from Emerald in minutes HERE!

Alternatively, give us a call on 0330 113 7109 or email us at  to get a quote today!

What is a Civil Partnership 

For those of you who have clicked on our page we are sure that you are already accustomed to what a Civil Partnership is; however, for clarity’s sake – a Civil Partnership is a legally recognised arrangement between a couple which is similar to that of a marriage. Initially, civil partnerships were legislated as a means to recognise the union of same sex couples in the law (an Act that first came into function in Blair’s 2004 Civil Partnership Act). However, in recent years such legal status is also achievable for heterosexual couples and nearly anyone can now register civil partnerships. 

You have booked a date for your ceremony and now wish to book a notice appointment

You must give notice of your intent to marry at least 29 days before the ceremony is scheduled. 

Giving notice

The partners must notify the local register office where they live about their intention for civil partnerships, an essential part of civil partnership registrations. It’ll have to happen to you personally. It must even be made if a partnership is registered elsewhere. You have a minimum of 7 days living time before giving the notice. When you sign a notice, you will be asked for details regarding when and how a civil partnership should begin registration. Likewise you must give the registrar some personal information.

Evidence of name, date of birth and nationality

Information required for giving notice to form a civil partnership:

  • Preferred date of officiation, alongside notes of other approved premises
  • Personal identification: you must provide evidence that you are a British citizen/ Irish citizen. This identification could be a birth certificate.
  • If you or your partner is a widow, the surviving partner will have to provide the the death certificate of a previous partner.
  • Make a request to receive a Notice of Civil Partnerships and form a civil partnership 

Choosing a civil partnership ceremony

A civil partnership is not an inherently religious ceremony and will not occur on a religious premises. If you wish to attain a religious blessing as part of the ceremony for your union, you will be able to do so at a separate location. 

Here at Emerald Life we are here to ensure the events you want to host for your big day! Give us a call on 0330 113 7109 or email us at

Additionally, partnerships formed oversees are also recognised as legal unions by the UK. Although, they must respect the local authority in which they are conducted. 

Who can register a civil partnership

You and your partner can register for a civil partnership if you’re both aged 18 or older.

Naturally, you will be unable to obtain a civil partnership if you and your partner are closely related. Legally, this is referred to a prohibited degree of relationship. 

Overseas relationship 

Additionally, you can apply for a UK civil partnership Visa if your Civil Partner is outside the UK, but is wanting to return to the UK with you. 

The process of converting a civil partnership into a marriage 

This can be achieved through a process called ‘standard conversion’. This is a two stage process in which the conversion will be followed by a ceremony. 

If you are civil partners wishing to convert your union to a marriage 

Upon attending an appointment with your local registrar office, you will need to provide the following evidence to attain a standard conversion process:

  • evidence of your address 
  • your original civil partnership certificate 
  • evidence of your name and date of birth 

Consequently, a legal declaration will be drawn up for you both to sign with the registrar.

To find out more click HERE to learn from ‘Citizens Advice’.

The cost of registering a civil partnerships

Upon the notice request for a civil partnership will be £35 per person; conversely, if you are subject to immigration control it is £47 per person.

The similarities between marriage and civil partnerships

Whilst the religious and legal connotation between a marriage and a civil partnership differ; in essence, the two forms of union share identical obligations and legal rights.

Ending a civil union

You are able to dissolve the partnership after a year. This is achievable through applying to the courts.

Additionally, if you do not want to end the partnership you can apply for a legal separation instead.

Costs of civil partnership registration and ceremonies

Costs for giving notice to a civil partnership is £36 per partner. The cost of the celebration will vary couple to couple, as this is completely dependant on their choice of celebration.

Looking for insurance for your big day – We’re here to help. Get a quote in minutes. Call us on 0330 113 7109 or email us at 

Special rules for people who are seriously ill

If you are seriously ill and looking to obtain a legal union with your partner, you will need to provide medical evidence that the person is not likely to recover (usually the doctor who is treating the ill partner will be able to provide a letter).

Want to inquire more into exceptional circumstances and their impact on a civil partnership ceremony? Click ‘HERE’.

In summary 

  • Civil partnerships where initially created to provide recognition to same sex couples; however, such status is equally available for couples of the opposite sex. Therefore, both an opposite sex civil partnership and a same sex civil partnership are recognised under UK law.
  • After giving notice there will be a waiting period of 29 days.
  • Giving notice will require a series of legal documentation. Whilst such documentation may appear bureaucratic the availability of such documentation is essential if you want to obtain legal recognition for your union.
  • A civil partnership is attainable abroad; however for the civil union to be recognised under UK law it must be prohibited in the country you chose to have your ceremony.
  • Partnerships which are transnational in nature are able to access a civil partnership, however there are terms to an oversees relationship becoming recognised under UK law.Get a civil partnership insurance quote from Emerald in minutes HERE!